Monday, February 19, 2007

Ordination and Induction

Dear friends and family,

I am now officially writing to you as Rev. Terreth Jon Klaver, Pastor of the Southern Presbyterian Church of Launceston. I was ordained into the sacred ministry on the afternoon of February 17, 2007. The service was simple, Biblical, and edifying.


The service began with Rev. Raeburn Cameron-Smith (Pastor emeritus of the Southern Presbyterian Church of Launceston) welcomed the people to the service and opened in prayer. We then sang Psalm 124 and Elder John Coles, the Clerk of the Presbytery, gave a description of the call that was extended to me. Rev. Iain Smith, the Pastor of the Southern Presbyterian Church of Hobart, then gave a brief and compelling charge to the congregation from Hebrews 13. Rev. Cameron-Smith then gave a charge to me from I Timothy 6.


I was then asked the following questions:

1. Do you believe the Old and New Testaments to be the very Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice, which you will faithfully preach at all times?

2. Do you believe the doctrines and teaching of the Westminster Confession of Faith, and is this Confession a personal statement of your personal understanding of the teaching of the Word of God?

3. Do you believe and will you maintain the the System of Presbyterial Church government adopted by the Southern Presbyterian Church?

4. Do you agree with and will you conform to the Church Practice and form of public worship approved by the Southern Presbyterian Church?

5. Are your motives in accepting this call by this congregation that you love Christ and His people and desire to serve and glorify Him in the congregation?

6. Do you promise that with God's help and grace you will endeavor to be a faithful shepherd to this flock of God, praying for them, teaching them, leading and correcting them as God's Word requires of a true Pastor?


By the grace of God I answered affirmatively. The members of the Presbytery laid their hands on me and offered prayer. I then signed the formula of subscription and received the right hand of fellowship from the brothers of the Presbytery. We sang Psalm 80:14-19 and Rev. Cameron-Smith closed the service with the benediction.


After the service we had a nice time of food, fellowship, and prayer with the congregation and many visitors from other churches in Tasmania.


The time of my ordination and the following days are proving to be days of prayer and reflection. My ordination and induction are a confirmation of the desire the Lord has put in my heart to serve Him since I was in my mid teens. I am overwhelmed at the Lord's goodness to me and I ask that you would all continually remember me and Martha as we seek to serve the people of the Southern Presbyterian Church of Launceston and the cause of Christ's Kingdom in Australia.

Below are some pictures that were taken at the Ordination and Induction service. There are more coming, but I am still trying to figure out how to place and edit them. The first is of the questions being asked and the second is of me being extended the right hand of fellowship.





10 comments:

Brian Bosveld said...

Hmmm, a warm day, not something you can tell on the photos. 32'C, or 90'F. I think if I hadn't been distracted by the children and the heat (excuses, excuses) I might have taken some photos myself.

A momentous and joyful occasion, for our church and I'm sure for Terry personally.

I noted that in response to the 6 questions, Terry answered 6 different ways, although as Terry said, all in the affirmative.

Martha, you were mentioned at various times, including during the service and afterwards at the afternoon tea. In response to a comment from Pat, Terry pointed out that you were still coming to join him in Tassie, in spite of having met Pat, a comment which delighted all but (perhaps) one present.

A blessed time. We wait on the Lord for his continued blessing.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Congratulations Rev. Klaver. All of us here in Yellville are very proud of you. But are they feeding you enough? You look as though you have shed a stone or two. Take care of yourself.

Lipsy Family said...

Reverend Max! =) We're missing you here and can't wait for April 9 to come! God bless you as you take up your work in Tassie! <3

Martha said...

That was a good joke, Brian, and even if he didn't show it, I think Pat must have appreciated the wit. He mustn't think to have a monopoly in Launceston... I do look forward to coming back, and it is now only about five months till the wedding (more like six till I arrive though).

It definitely is a time for joy, thanksgiving and continued trust.

NPE said...

Congratulations Terry!

Will you be called Reverend Klaver, Pastor Klaver, or Bishop Klaver?

I prefer the AV rendering although it reeks of papistry!

Are your sermons online yet?

Terreth said...

Dear Nate,

I will be likely be Pastor Klaver to people during church or at church functions, and to the younger ones in the congragation, but otherwise I will probably be Terry.

My sermons and the sermons of my counter part in Hobart (Iain Smith)are not yet on line but should be coming soon. Check the SPC homepage from time to time, the link is on our website.

Mrs. P said...

Congratulations dear Reverend Mr. Klaver!

The Education of the Klaver is no longer our concern says Dad.

And a trivial side note: have you lost weight? It appears that you have.

Brian Bosveld said...

As to Terry's much-questioned fading avoirdupois, a few explanations could be:
. it's the clean shaven look
. Terry's the one in the light blue shirt, not the dark blue
. the photo is stretched vertically, giving a slimmer appearance
. he's missing Martha
. he hasn't been paid yet
. he doesn't have a car, and has to walk everywhere
. it's being 'down under' - the earth pulls you one direction and gravity the other (Terry's also taller now)

But who am I to talk! Hi to you too John. Long time no see.

Eva Lemmon..? said...

Yay Terry! Brings tears to the eye, to see you all grown up and being a minister!

yes said...

hey terry,

Cameron Lawson here. It is so good to see the work you are doing so far away. I have always been praying for you. Congratulations on your service for the Lord in that community.

Cam