Thursday, March 22, 2007

Miscellaneous

Dear friends and family,

I am sorry I have not been more timely with my postings. I hope you enjoy some random pictures and experiences here in Tasmania since I last posted.


Martha's Birthday

Here I am at a birthday party some people from our church held for Martha, even though, sadly, she was not there. I would include some more pictures of the rest of the group, but I am not sure how they would like having pictures of themselves in party gear up on the Web.

I, as usual, have my eyes closed.








Here is the Cake!
This is an Australian White Chocolate Mud Cake. They are delicious and are not too expensive when you pick them up on discount at " Woolies" (otherwise known as Woolworth's, a major chain grocery store).

There was much good food there ranging from nuts and apples (which I brought!) to potato chips, cake, and various other sweets.

Australians appreciate chocolates, sweets, and lollies (candies) just as much as the Dutch, but theirs are made with no almond paste and are not so ritualistically a part of Sabbath worship.



Around My Yard (warning: spider ahead)

Here are a few pics of some things in and around our home.

I actually found this guy in our living room. He is one of the most interesting spiders I have come across here in Tassie and especially in our home. So far I have only found Daddy Long Legs (of various sizes) and smallish jumping spiders.


This guy was about 2 1/2" across or so, but most of that was legs, as you can see.


He was also one of the more intelligent spiders I have encountered. He was easily caught, but once caught he performed an almost systematic evaluation of his cage, tried various methods of escape, and keenly noticed any change at all in his situation. Plus, he just looked cool.


Our Lemon Tree!!!!!!!!!!

The lemon is my favorite plant growing in our yard. He is robust, tough, healthy, and produces one of the few fruits I enjoy year round.

From this picture you cannot see any of his lemons, but they are there. I have picked several since I have been here and I have given several away as well.

There is a second lemon tree in the yard to the right of this one (from the view shown here). It is quite a bit smaller, but he is growing and will soon an object of my delight like the tree pictured here.



Here is a genuine Australian mail box. They are slightly different from the ones in the States and Canada.

The top piece that is flipped up is half a tube with a bottom, where advertisements and fliers are inserted. The actual "box" part is quite well designed. There is a slot in the front of the box, not visible in the picture, where the mail is inserted. The bottom of the tube functions as the top/cover and keeps the mail dry in the rain. The mail is retrieved from the box by flipping up the top piece so the mail can be removed. There is even a little window on the back bottom of the box so one can see if there is any mail or not. There is no mail pick up from homes, however, and consequently all mail must be brought to a Post box, but one is never that far away.



Allow me to close this post with this picture of one of the many flowers from our garden. The natural beauty of this flower is found all throughout Tasmania. It is amazing how quickly you can become accustomed to the breath-taking.

Lord willing, there will be more posts coming soon, friends. Until then, the Lord bless you all.



4 comments:

Mrs. P said...

You have Woolworth's? Wow... my dad would be SOOOO jealous. He insists that nothing compares to the Woolworth's of his youth.

On vacations in CT when we were kids he'd take us there as a 'special treat'. "Children, this is a Woolworth's. We don't have them in Michigan anymore."

Dad that's um, great. Neat-o!

Lipsy Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim and Lanette said...

Looks awesome Terry, Tim always closes his eyes on pictures too. :) We miss you.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

How sweet of them to have a party for Martha and her not even being there. Glad to hear they are taking such good care of you. We miss you, Bro Terry!