Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Little More News

Dear friends and family,

Greetings from Grand Rapids Michigan, my old home town.

I left my dear Martha and New Jersey behind this passed Monday. My days in New Jersey with her and her family were all to brief. I would like to recount some of the happenings of the previous week (canceled flights, delayed flights, given up flights, first class upgrades, had a day in Central Park with the greatest woman in the world, attempting to eat dinner on Staten Island at a Sicilian restaurant with no food, planning our wedding, etc.) but it will have to wait for a later post.

Since I arrived in Grand Rapids I have been trying to spend as much time as possible with friends and immediate family. I have had a busy couple days and more are sure to follow.

The wedding I hope to perform is Friday, DV. I am greatly looking forward to it. I had dinner with the couple last night, as it is now very early morning Wednesday April 18. It was wonderful to spend some more time with them and thank them once again for flying me back for their wedding and providing a way for me to see my dear Martha again.

I have only had a brief time for reflection so far on this trip. It had been my hope and prayer to use this time away from the SPC Launceston to reflect and evaluate the Pastoral work I have done there thus far. Though I have not had much time there have been many things passing through my mind and heart of late:

1. Some thoughts on how to improve my sermons and preaching.

2. Some thoughts on what texts to consider together with the congregation.

3. A remembering and reevaluating of what I thought were the "big spiritual
picture" and "Kingdom needs" of northern Tasmania.

4. The Dutch have been way too Theologically prideful, especially in the past 200
years, and they need to revisit the Westminster Confession, Catechisms, and the
Sum of Saving Knowledge in depth.

5. Grand Rapids and Michigan is very familiar but it is not home anymore. I do not
belong here.

6. Tasmania may not be as familiar but is home. I belong in Launceston.

7. I miss the SPC Launceston.

I could get more specific but it would take a lot more time, the thoughts are under developed, and I am not sure the Blog is the best place for the details.

I hope to depart for Launceston on the coming Monday and then it will not be too long before I marry my marvelous Martha.

Love through Christ,

Terry

2 comments:

Mrs. P said...

It was great to see you last night!

It's wonderful to read that Taz has become your home and that it feels so right to be there! Must be a wonderful group of people!

Kara said...

Wish we could have been in MI too visiting with you! We are planning on coming to your wedding this summer. Crack me up, sounds like you had quite the adventures this past week...a restaurant with no food?? It makes me feel a little sad that MI doesn't seem like home to you...of course it isn't really anymore for us either...but this is turning into a paragraph not a comment :)