Saturday, February 21, 2009


Vacation Part II




Here are a few pictures of our beautiful 2nd campsite. We had set out from our other campsite, looking for another one, since we had a rough night previously.

The previous night we got to bed some time after 1:30am. A group of young, and not so young, guys were "camping" behind us. Their version of camping was building a big fire, playing the best of the 70's-80's rock, hanging out in their cars with the boots (trunks) and doors open, making reasonably sized mounds of tinnies (beer cans). Just before 1:30am I went and asked the guys to turn it down as my wife and seven month old daughter (at the time) were attempting to sleep.

The two representatives of the group I spoke to were quite polite and quite drunk. They said "Oh! Sorry mate. We'll turn it down." I thanked them and started back to our tent.
As I walked back I heard various random phrases:
"Turn it down? Why?"
"He's got a baby in there."
"Ohhhh...sorry mate."
"Hey, where was that guy from? Canada?"
"Don't know?"
"Hey mate! You want a free ride back home!"
"Shut up, you don't want to do that mate. He was a big guy."
"Oh! Sorry mate. No hard feelins. Ah!"

We got up in the morning and began driving North to find our new campsite. We came across this beautiful spot at "Cozy Corner South" in the Bay of Fires. We had not packed up the car so I dropped off Martha and Julia to hold the spot while I drove back and packed up the camp. It took me a couple hours to drive back, tear down camp, pack it up again, and drive back to the new spot. We set up camp again before night fall. It was great to be in one of our dream camp spots!


The camp cooking set up worked well.


This is the view of our campsite from our fire pit. From our fire pit we had a great view of the ocean and the nights sky.


The view just outside one of the tent doors.


I (Terry) went swimming almost every morning. I really enjoyed and it was kind of a shower substitute as well. Marth, Julia, and me walked along the beach a bit checking things out. We also sat and read on the beach and swam. At times the wave were a good sized (5 ft) and you had to be a bit careful but it was fun.

We enjoyed our first camping trip in Tassie quite well.
Lord willing, their will be more to come.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation and perfect location!! Gives me a hankering for going camping... maybe this summer.

Kara said...

Darryl is laughing about the big guy comment :). So glad you guys could get away for awhile. Is camping really relaxing with a baby? At any rate you had great scenery--I'm loving the site that had the beach 20 feet away!