Thursday, January 17, 2008


Leadership

Leadership is something every pastor and elder is called to contemplate. I have been contemplating this theme a lot since before I began the ministry, and I have not stopped yet. I begin to wonder if I ever will.

While I was looking for a picture for this post, I came across several posters that provide nutshell summaries of leadership. Most of them not too helpful; they're oh-so-cute with great pictures, but not so helpful.

Books on leadership abound. There are several "Christian" books on leadership as well. They can be helpful, but they have not proven so to me yet.

In seminary, we had a special class on leadership. We received practical advice, read a few books of varying degrees of helpfulness, and attempted to study Biblical principles and Biblical models of leadership.

My contemplations of leadership have been humbling and uplifting of late.

I have not been in the ministry very long and am limited on experience. I am not even 30 years old yet and lack maturity. I am in a new country with a new culture (although some Australians fear America is replacing and extirpating their culture). The state I live in is an island with its own unique history and sub-culture from the rest of the country. Faced with my responsibly for the spiritual state of all the men and women in the church I serve, and especially the task of leading, it is tempting to become overwhelmed. As I contemplate these factors, I find myself crying out to the Lord, "How can I lead?"

Thankfully, the Lord continually brings His Word to bear and provides direction, and with direction strength and hope. The two greatest helps follow:

1. Be strong and courageous, not fearful, trusting in the LORD and His Word

Joshua 1:5-9 " There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. 6 Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them. 7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. 9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."

These words applied to Joshua as the Lord's chosen successor of Moses and deliverer of His people. It chiefly refers to Christ as the true law-giver and deliverer of the Lord's people, and because it applies to Him, it may also be said of all those who are in Him, and in a special way to those who hold church office.

2. The fear of the LORD is my conduit of strength and my God is my shelter.

Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge."

As I prayerfully reflect on these texts, and seek to faithfully execute my office, I see the LORD providing for me and His church. Humility brings uplifting as the Father ever demonstrates His faithfulness in bringing about His plan by His Spirit for the sake of His Son.

My contemplations of leadership may never stop, but that is a truly blessed thing.

3 comments:

Bert said...

Hey TK--was speaking to Kryna, who suggested I might leave a comment after reading your blog so my friend would get to know that we try to keep in touch with your life. And, Hey, what do you know, I have the privilege of being your first commenter!
Good to hear of your wrestles with the question of leadership and your comment that in & out of Christ, He does give grace to lead.
--you are certainly in our thoughts frequently & we enjoy hearing all the news/life clippits on your blog

srutherford77 said...

Good Post, Terry. There are some good insights to consider.

Eva Lemmon..? said...

If it is any help, Napoleon had a knack for making speeches about france. Leading is about charisma, and having a good party line.

(I doubt that poor Nappy would be able to lead very well, given the state of France today... Heh heh heh....)