Monday, January 21, 2008


Today is our half-year anniversary. Six months of marriage somehow seems very incredible. It has been a busy and blessed time of transition and trust, and most of all, the living out of true love. The above photo was taken in front of the apricot tree today, which produced over six buckets full of fruit this year. Most of the fruit went to church folk, and I plan to stew the bag I kept if I can scrounge a few glass jars somewhere.

This picture seems to be from a long time ago, a euphoric day that was just the beginning of our adventures together as man and wife. The Lord has been so good to us in bringing us together and in keeping us united through the learning, communicating, and miscommunicating of married life. And all through the day today, baby has been kicking at an unusual rate. I think he is celebrating our marriage too, because that's the reason he's alive inside me. (And no, we don't know if it's a "he" or "she" - we're keeping that a surprise for everyone, including ourselves. But we have several prophets who think they know.)

The other reason baby may have been kicking is that we went to "The Cheesecake Shop" amid some other errands in the city. Alas, it is not the sit-down restaurant I had foolishly been expecting. I think I was still associating this local place with "The Cheesecake Factory" which is a classy restaurant in the States. Above pictured is one of this American restaurant's offerings, a luxurious dessert called Chocolate Tuxedo Cream Cheesecake. I spent about a half hour when we got home on their website, www.thecheesecakefactory.com, just drooling over the menu. I'll have to go there sometime when I'm back in the States. The cheesecake I had from the shop was okay, but more sour and cheesy than I expected. This is probably because it was "continental cheesecake" rather than American. Oh, well - baby and I still got our sugar high going there!

These pictures are in answer to some complaints from family of not having an idea of what our house looks like. It's also to show off some of the little snowmen we got in a post-Christmas sale. They are sitting on the mantelpiece with our Christmas cards in an attempt to capture the snowy wonder of the holidays in a land of no snow and opposite seasons. The picture above the mantelpiece is one that Terry's mom sent us of the Mackinack Bridge (pronounced Mack-i-naw), which has a span of five miles and connects the Lower and Upper Peninsulas of Michigan.

Unfortunately, the various visits that have kept us occupied in the last couple of weeks have been virtually picture-less. We either did not use the camera or forgot it entirely. I am determined to do better, but here is what we did glean from the time we spent at Stuart and Karleen's house.
Real men do dishes. Stuart sets the example here, and Bradley follows in his father's footsteps. A dynamic duo - or at least the photographer thought so. Thankfully, the photographer is also a follower of this maxim.

And last but not least, real men eat breakfast. Rowan is setting the pace here. And these two lovely home scenes are all the traveling pictures we took, despite having been at several friends' houses and two scenic beaches recently. Oh well, we just didn't want to make you jealous, right?

3 comments:

srutherford77 said...

You can tell you guys are newly weds; you're celebrating your 6 month anniversary. Do I need to remind you guys that anniversary means yearly? :)

steveandjanna said...

See now I could go either way on the cheesecake. I like a good New York cheesecake but on the other hand a good Italian cheesecake (which I suspect is what you're talking about, made with ricotta cheese) is also very good. The Italian cheesecake has a nice tang to it, a little lighter than the dense New York cheesecake. Great, now Janna needs to make me a cheesecake. And blueberry sauce, or maybe raspberry.

Emma said...

Congrats on the 6 month anniversary :-)