Sunday, April 29, 2007

Trip into Manhattan
Here are some pictures of my and Martha's trip into Manhattan. I have wanted to go to Manhattan, and especially Central Park, with her for a while and it was a tremendous answer to prayer we had the opportunity.
Martha on the train into Grand Central Station.
After arriving at Grand Central Station we walked through Midtown to Central Park.

The Queen of Midtown in Central Park !


Martha on a bridge in Central Park.


Terry on a bridge in Central Park.



The engaged couple on a bridge together in Central Park!
Not only on the same continent!
Not only in the same time zone!
EVEN ON THE SAME BRIDGE!


Martha outside Columbus Circle, just outside Central Park, as we wait for her brother to get out of work.
After we met up with Martha's oldest brother Dan we all got the subway and went Down Town. From there we caught the Staten Island Ferry and got dinner in Staten Island, kind of...
We found a little Sicilian restaurant. We had a great time but it was hard to get our food.
First, Dan got served the wrong meal. Second, after half an hour they told us they did not have the Manicotti Martha and I ordered. So I ordered the Salmon (knowing it could not compare with fresh Tassie Salmon) and Martha ordered the Stuffed Egg Plant. After another 20 minutes or so a big plate of shrimp arrived at our table. I told the waiter it was not ours, but then I remembered Dan was supposed to get Zucchini and Shrimp with his Pasta (he did not actually receive the dinner he ordered). I waived the waiter back over to the table and asked him if it could be Dan's Shrimp. The waiter said no it was for a separate order. So I brought the Shrimp up to the counter and informed a waitress that this was not our order. She apologized and had it taken back.
Not long after that Martha's Stuffed Egg Plant arrived. Then our waitress came to our table and told me the Shrimp was for me because they ran out of Salmon. I said that was alright and that I did not want the Shrimp. The manager came over and offered me a Tuna Pasta dish they were working on. I told him that I was fine and did not want anything. He looked like someone had stolen his puppy.
He then offered us coffee. Dan and I both thought coffee sounded pretty good and he joyfully and promptly brought us coffee. He seemed excited the restaurant actually had something they could serve us. He returned with the coffee. He then wondered if we wanted some desert. I was planning on ordering desert, when Dan and Martha were done, so I ordered the Tiramisu. The manager seemed even happier that there was actually food on the menu we wanted and they actually had. If only it were true.
He came back to our table and apologized but there was no Tiranisu. He asked if he could give us a couple cookies ("biscuits" for our Ozzie friends) instead. One was a chocolate cookie and other was a Date cookie. The cookies were delicious, but they were not quite Tiramisu.
When our bill came they only charged us for our drinks. It was a little annoying but it was a great time too, and the people did there level best to help us. It was too bad they did not have the food on their menu.

Martha on the ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island.
The Statue of Liberty is just over her right shoulder.
By the time we finished waiting for our food not to come and Dan and Martha ate what they did not order, we went back to the Ferry. By the time we got back across to Manhattan it was around 10:30pm and we missed the train out of Manhattan. So we walked the streets of Manhattan until around midnight and took the Subway to the train out of Manhattan.

Martha riding the "Bull," symbolic of the U.S. economy (we hope), not far from Wall Street.

Martha and I with the Bull.

Martha's oldest brother Dan whispering financial advice to the Bull.
We hope the Bull listens.


Martha by a sculpture of Alexander Calder in Manhattan.

4 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like you had a great time even though your dinner on the island was rather messed up. Good thing it was you guys and not me cuz my fuses have been rather short lately. Something I am working on.

Tim and Lanette said...

Hey pretty soon you'll be one of those super hot ALL the way bald guys! :) Way to go Martha. Its great you could be together, I'm sure you're counting the days.

Lipsy Family said...

nice pics max =] and i enjoyed hearing (reading) the dinner story again!

Kryna said...

Looks like you two had a great time! All the best and see you in July, DV!